Travis
These are the reasons
why you are my favorite/only brother:
You eat popsicles--
like two a day--
every summer
while riding around our driveway
on your scooter, sometimes
in your robe.
You have lists--
a ranking,
an order--
for everything.
Whether it’s video game levels,
Tom Petty songs, or supervillains,
there’s always a first favorite,
second favorite, third favorite,
and so on.
You grumble,
and sob,
and whine annoyingly
about practicing the guitar,
but you secretly love
to sing and strum.
You know you do.
You have perfect pitch
and sing like a pro,
and laugh when
I try, hopelessly,
to harmonize.
You have
a scary, amazing
photographic memory.
Of course,
you’re also dumbest, dumbester,
and even dumbestest sometimes.
You wear stripes and plaid.
It’s horrible.
But sometimes,
you listen to me
and go change.
But you never comb
your stick-up-every-which-way hair.
You just screech at anyone
who tries to tell you
that you look like a rooster.
You watch The Flash with me
every Tuesday night,
and you don’t complain
when I pause the TV
to jump all around
the room in excitement
and tell you who I think
the real bad guy is.
Though you already know,
because you already watched
the episode without me
even though I told you
that I would never speak to you
ever, ever again if you did.
And here you are--
watching it all over again,
because I don’t like
to watch alone.
If I let you,
you’ll talk my ear off
until I’m about to die
from hearing your top ten
video game bosses or chapter names.
You and I
giggle every time
we remember
Mom saying,
“Mrs. Itchland,”
and then you
“laaaaa”
and we laugh even harder.
By the way,
I’m really sorry
about that one time
when I screamed at you
and made you cry after you took
the ice cream
that I had selfishly
saved for myself
and put your nasty strawberry syrup on it.
I don’t know how you like that stuff.
Dude, Little Man:
you drive me absolutely nuts
and cause me to whisper maliciously
under my breath that I wish
I was an only child,
but I’m actually thrilled
that my wish never comes true, because
you amaze me
every
single
day.
That pretty much sums up my relationship with my brother. Let me know what you think!
--Brianna

No comments:
Post a Comment