Monday, January 9, 2017

Satin Ribbons: A Sestina

    Again, I have something I wrote in Andover (really, all my best writing happened there). We had an assignment to write a sestina which is a special form of poem. I can't for the life of me remember all the rules of sestinas (something to do with the pattern of the last words of each line). I decided to write about my love/hate relationship with ballet. Here it is... 




Satin Ribbons


To dance on toes, it takes great strength.
Yes, it’s beautiful-- that’s true,
but with the pain that I feel,
is it all really worth it?
Is shining pink satin
really the desire of my heart?


They say to dance from the heart.
It will give you the strength
to keeping tying those ribbons of satin
and convince yourself that your love is true.
It takes every breath, and it
takes every part of your soul to reach and feel.


The pressure is incessant, and I feel
that my head’s still there but not my heart.
I wonder if it would hurt so much to let it
all go and forget my strength.
But then that wouldn’t be true
to how I sometimes feel about those shoes of satin.


Sometimes I dream of pink satin,
and I close my eyes and feel
like everything is so right and true--
that this is my passion. It’s where my heart
belongs, and I feel in the dripping blood on my toes strength
coursing through, and every ruby drop is somehow worth it.


I think that it
is so devastating that I’ve come to sometimes hate the satin
ribbons and the terrible strength
that they require, and I feel
desperate and wish my heart
could just remember when it was all right and true.


Then, I would fall in love again and remember what true
beauty is made of, and it
would rekindle the burning embers in my heart
that blaze as brightly as the shining satin.
I would remember what it’s like to feel
alive-- full of grace and strength.

My heart longs for the days when I had the strength
to not doubt what is true and how I feel.
It beats to the rhythm of my feet dancing in satin.


     I promise that I really do love to dance! Anyway, let me know what you think!

                                                                      --Brianna 




8 comments:

  1. I can relate to this. It reminds me of the things I thought about while involved in a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved how you wrote about the good and bad sides. I think it really puts into perspective that nothing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how detailed you are about the drops of ruby red or the pink satin. It makes me wonder what it's like to dance in ballet shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how a message in this poem is sometimes we lose the motivation to do the things we love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Felt likewise with piano, you sometimes get overburdened with the practicing and the challenge it is to keep wanting to try, I just turn back and remember that learning that piece and performing it well is the greatest feeling in the world, and it softens my heart up to love what I do after I work months into a piece, I can definitely relate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This kept me paying attention as a dancer as well, so I related to it! It was written well, loved the detail and imagery!

    ReplyDelete