Monday, January 9, 2017

Once Again: Poem Inspired by Billy Collin's "Litany"

     Here's a poem I wrote in this class. This was inspired by the poem "Litany" by Billy Collins. 



Once Again 
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”  
–F. Scott Fitzgerald 

You are the boat beating against the current, 
borne back ceaselessly into the past. 
You are the ring of water left by a glass 
and chalk on the pavement. 
You are the first ripple that forms after a stone hits the water, 
and you are the last. 

However, you are not a sock who has lost its pair, 
a salt shaker, 
or the broken cabinet door. 
And you are certainly not fresh snow on the ground. 
There is just no way that you are fresh snow on the ground. 

It is possible that you are cookies baking in the oven, 
or maybe one of those trees that smells like butterscotch, 
but you are not even close 
to being an after-dinner mint. 

You can easily see 
that you are neither a deflated balloon  
nor the old pants at the bottom of the drawer. 

As we are speaking of metaphors, 
you may want to know what I am. 
I am the first spark that pops from a sparkler on the Fourth of July. 

I am also the pen and the paper, 
the dust that flies off your shoe, 
the last ember of a dying fire. 

I am a perfectly toasted marshmallow, 
and the raindrop that races down your car window. 
But don’t worry, you are still the boat beating against the current. 
And I am too. 
We will always beat on, boats against the current, 
borne back ceaselessly into the past.  

     I hope everyone that's taken junior English appreciated my favorite quote from The Great Gatsby. Let me know what you think!
                                                     
                                                                            --Brianna


10 comments:

  1. I like how you used marshmallow. It reminds me of camping and childhood memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the different aspects of life that you used like marshmallow, ring of water, sparks from a sparkler, etc. Really fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved every single description that you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "but you are not even close 
    to being an after-dinner mint. "
    This made me grin ear to ear, because I love after dinner mints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved all of the things you compared, they all just worked so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really awesome how you pulled from such a variety of things and made it all fit together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You brought out some really great comparisons here, and even though they weren't particularly related, they all worked well together and left a distinct impression :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a really great writer. I enjoyed this poem a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i could picture the deflated balloon and it reminded me of when you got a balloon as a kid and would keep it until there was absolutely no air left and the feeling of having to throw away something so magical. Anyways, i loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was great. I loved all of the comparisons and all of the imagery that you used. It was amazing. Thanks for sharng

    ReplyDelete